Friday, January 23, 2009

my first gym experience

As a singer, I have always had great breath support.  I'm not (usually) one of those fat folks that get winded after a little physical activity.   With that being said, all of that goes out the window after this surgery.

Back when we lived in Florida, Kenny and I worked out religiously.  We felt great... healthy and strong and powerful.  Life happened and we stopped going.  One of our big goals with this surgery was to make sure that we were doing it for the right reasons and that we meant it.  It is a huge commitment and we need to make sure that we were going to honor all of the hard work that we have put into it.  I even took a self-induced job cut so that I could take care of myself better but that's a whole 'nother story.

Since I am 3 weeks out, I decided that it was time to get back into the physical activity world.  Last week, I was able to walk around Wal*Mart without the little wheelie cart.  Granted, I was a bit worn out and I had to go sit down while Kenny went through the line, but I made it.   Yesterday, I decided that I was going to go to the gym.  We've had memberships for a while.  We really do enjoy going but when you work 10 hour days, it doesn't always happen like you want it to.  So I went in and got on the treadmill.  I walked exactly a mile and felt so strong afterwards.  I could only get my speed up to 1.9 MPH but at least I did it.  I haven't been cleared to go over to the weights yet.  Dr. Brandon says I should be able to go there after another week.  I gotta "take it easy" but at least I can do it.  

I have went back and forth about having this surgery for years.  I am so glad that I did it.  It was a huge step and it hasn't been easy but I feel so good about  my choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment